East Baltimore Community School

Role: Owner’s Representative
Project Type: Educational/Institutional
Location: Baltimore, MD

The East Baltimore Community School (EBCS), a K-8 public contract school, opened in the fall of 2009 with the belief that a strong school is critical to the revitalization and health of a community. Temporarily located at 1101 N. Wolfe St., the school enrolls approximately 260 students in kindergarten and first, second, third, sixth and seventh grades. Grades four, five and eight will be added incrementally.

In August 2013, the EBCS will relocate to a new $30 million, 90,000-square-foot facility on a 7-acre campus within the East Baltimore Development Inc. redevelopment area, 88 acres north of the Johns Hopkins University’s East Baltimore campus. EBCS will share that site with a $10 million, 28,000-square-foot early childhood center, or ECC. The capacity of EBCS and ECC will be approximately 540 and 180, respectively. Children of catchment area residents and families relocated from the EBDI redevelopment area will be given priority for enrollment. The remaining capacity will be filled by children of persons who work within the catchment area, families living in zones 250, 36, 97, 25 and 13, and at-large children citywide.

The EBCS will be the first new school built in East Baltimore in 25 years and will be built with creative financing sources, including New Market Tax Credits, TIF funds, Johns Hopkins University contributions and private philanthropy. No Baltimore City Public School capital funds will be used. The campus will also include a gym, auditorium and library, all available for community use. The overall campus will serve as a community hub for family engagement, citizenship, and wellness.

Click on images below for a larger view.